Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Guide #1: Staying Connected in Guam

Wifi is very accessible and free in most hotel, mall and public areas however on the hotel we are staying I read on reviews that the Wifi was very poor. I decided to rent a Wifi pocket device. I was torn between: Smart Travel Wifi , Flytpack or ECOM.

At the end I decided to book from ECOM and pick it up at AB Won Pat International Airport. Wifi pocket in Guam is much pricey compare to Taiwan. Daily rental cost us 10 USD. But ECOM is offering free rental for the day if the device will be returned before 12 NN. Since our flight is at noon I could take this offer. I paid for three days instead of 4.

One week before our flight, I booked the wifi device through their website. Upon booking, I immediately received a reservation summary on my email. Reservations can be checked on their website. No credit card is needed to reserve.



On the day of my arrival in Guam, I visited the booth after baggage claim and exiting Customs. Upon exit turn right, you will immediately spot their booth.

I presented the printed reservation summary, paid in Credit Card for the daily rent (Cash is also accepted) and picked up the device. They are requiring USD 100 as deposit (you may pay in Cash or Credit Card, numbers are copied but not swiped). The staff instructed us what were included (device, charger, case) and reminded us that they have this sticker or tag at the battery and in the device that changes color when it gets wet, which is already equivalent to a damaged 
device. 

During our stay in Guam, the internet speed was good. However there are times we need to check the device to see why we suddenly could not connect with the wifi. A little press on the power button and suddenly we could connect again. (This incident happened 5 or more times during the four days). The battery life of the device was also good. A full charge device can be used for the whole day without recharging. We charged the device at night and it took 3 to 4 hours to fully charge the device. 

On the day of our flight back, we returned the device before we checked-in. It was to be returned on the same booth where we got it from. Upon surrendering the case with the device, the staff checked whether all inclusion are complete and the color of the sticker/tagging. After checking the staff signed on the Rental Agreement and gave me a copy. 

Overall I am satisfied with the service despite it's a little bit pricey however it is more important to stay connected all the time. 

👣

No comments:

Post a Comment